The author of this article has marked this as a creative work, and would prefer that other users not edit it. Please respect this, and unless repairing a typo, spelling, or other minor technical error, think of this page as read-only.
Devon Yamaguchi was a very quiet child; so quiet, in fact, that her parents originally thought she was autistic. Her mother was Japanese; her father was an Australian exchange student attending university in Japan. The young couple split up soon after she was born. Her mother tried to raise Devon as a single mother, but was unable to deal with the financial and emotional strains of having a special-needs child. She was adopted by her maternal uncle Hideo Yamaguchi and his Hispanic American wife Luz.
Hideo was an engineer working in San Francisco, and it was there that Devon grew up. Her mother, a substance-abuse counselor, encouraged her to strive hard. Devon was an above average student, learning to speak, read and write in Japanese, English, and Spanish, and began to come out of her shell, but she never really fit in with the other children. This began to change with the advent of texting, and then social networks, and by high school, she was just an ordinary teenager.
She attended Golden Gate University, where she began to truly blossom socially, and she expected that after graduation, she would get a job in Silicon Valley. While at an art gallery with some friends in her junior year, however, she was noticed by a high-end antiquities dealer named Gabriel Frost. Frost took an immediate interest in her, and they began dating soon after. After several months of long-distance dating, she accepted Gabriel's offer to live with him in Chicago.
Devon was at the meeting at Frost's gallery, Eclipse, which she was by then helping to run, when a cultist posing as a buyer attacked Frost in an effort to steal a rare book from him. The woman began firing magical rays, killing two of the other buyers. She attacked Frost, but he grabbed the book (a grimoire which described a "Shadow Plane" and magic associated with it) and used it to block the ray. This opened a portal to the Shadow Plane, through which Gabriel, Devon, and the others were able to escape.
The refugees remained on the Shadow Plane for several days, until Frost gleaned enough from studying the Book to return them to Earth, where only minutes had passed. Frost used his new-found magical abilities to defeat the cultist. However, several gallery employees were killed in the fight, and the gallery itself burned to the ground. In the aftermath of the event, the survivors realized that their exposure to magical energies had affected them all, albeit in different ways. In Devon's case, she has manifested mental powers which she is still trying to understand, but whereas some of the others in the group have reacted negatively to their new abilities, Devon is excited about being a telepath.
Devon and Gabriel have recently opened a new gallery (named Ouroboros) in Vibora Bay, Florida, where they now reside. They have gathered the other survivors to form Black Sun, a supergroup dedicated to opposing mystical threats, and have begun slowly recruiting new team members.
Powers & Abilities
- Range: Most of Devon's powers are extremely short-ranged; many of her powers are only usable when she is touching someone.
- Combat: Devon has no combat training, doesn't wear armor, and relies on disabling others to protect herself in combat. This makes her particularly vulnerable to most undead, robots, and the like, who do not have minds she can manipulate.
Personality & Interests
- Three-word description: Spontaneous, caring, creative
- Interests: Anything to do with water--sailing and swimming especially; computers; technology; amateur photography
Family, Friends, Allies
- Her father, Hideo Yamaguchi, is originally Japanese, but is now an American citizen employed as a racing engineer with All-American Racing in Santa Ana, near Los Angeles. Her mother, Luz, is Hispanic. Luz is fifth-generation American, Caucasian, and is a high school music teacher. They couldn't conceive, so they adopted her, and another child a few years later.
- Her adopted brother is named Ethan. Ethan's 22 now, blonde, focused, and quiet. He's a driver for All-American and a racing fanatic. He's got a girlfriend named Stacy, a beach bunny with a quick wit and an even quicker smile.
- Her roommate and best friend while in San Francisco was Carolyn Connors, who recently got a job in LA doing stars' makeup. For a short time, Devon tried to convince Caroline to move to Vibora Bay to join her, but she stopped when she realized how dangerous being a superhero could be.
- She took an immediate liking to Jo Marx, aka Wildfire. Finding out about Jo's past didn't diminish her enthusiasm, and Jo is now her best friend.
- Ideal evening: Quiet dinner with her boyfriend Gabriel, moonlight walk on the beach or swim
- Pet preference: Cats, not dogs
- Would travel to do/see: Sail around the world
- Most important value: Caring
- Favorite memory: Spending time on the beaches as a teenager
- Least favorite memory: Being isolated in early grade school
- Likes: Water, warm beaches, good food, fashion, photography, travel, decorating, console gaming
- Dislikes: Harsh criticism, repetitive tasks, talking not doing
- Favorite movie:
- Favorite band/genre of music: Indie
- The Smart Girl, who is Weak But Skilled, and has Psychic Powers.
- Little Guy, Big Buddy duo with Jo Marx